Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Kid Alien Hanging Out With the Guys?




 


 

Don't forget you still have time to download my kid's novel, The Shadow of the Unicorn: The Legacy,for free until May 19th in honour of Children's Book Week. download now

Today, I’m thrilled to have Sharon Willett as my guest, particularly since she writes boy books! How badly we need boy books. So many books are written by women for girls with girl heroines. But Sharon does the opposite! Her book, Country and the Rock is a charming tale about a boy alien who comes to Earth to experience Earth life. Readers, leave a comment for a chance to win a copy of Sharon Willett’s e-book.


Sharon, tell us about Country and the Rock. I quite enjoyed it! 

Sean West is Country’s real name. In a few weeks he’ll be entering the 7th grade. He’s a farm boy from Michigan that tries to impress his dad but never quite makes the grade. He chews on long strands of grass, spits, and wears size seven John Deere boots. 

Describe the alien. He must be quite similar to humans if he walked among them.

The boys call the ten-year-old alien Clicker because he makes weird noises that are a part of his language. (If you check out the Country and The Rock facebook page or my website http://swillett.com you’ll find out what those Click and Squeals mean.) Clicker has long black hair, long legs, and looks almost human except for his forehead. Strips of skin separate a red gill-like area that moves like a wave across the whole forehead. The boys cut bangs for Clicker so he could go places with them.

What age group would this book work well with?

Mid-Grade 8-12, but older kids like it too. Even girls. I like to write high action books to snare that reluctant boy into wanting to read.

I’m not sure you’re aware, but I shout out your book every time I do a school visit. Kids are fascinated with anything from another planet.

I have seen a recent rise in the amount of people checking out the website. Thank you! That is the cool thing about many Muse authors – they help each other.  This fall I’m doing some storytelling at schools and homeschool groups, so I’ll be sure and return the favor.

So tell us about yourself. Where do you live? Do you have a day job or is writing your job?

I live north of Grand Rapids, Michigan in a farming community. I write, but also go to auctions. I turn the treasures I can part with into cash on Ebay. 

Is there another novel on the horizon that we can look forward to?

Country is a planned trilogy and I just signed a contract with MuseItYoung for the second book (drum roll please) COUNTRY CAPTURED due out October 2013. In the second book Country is taken to the Whirlpool Galaxy as a hostage of the bad aliens, the Venaticians.

That sounds awesome! Where can we get a copy of your current novel, Country and the Rock. 

 


Those are just off the top of my head. Right now it’s only available in ebook format but in July that may change.

Thank you for a wonderful interview, Sharon. Readers, don’t forget to leave comment for a chance to win a copy of Sharon Willett’s Country and the Rock.

You’re a great hostess, Suzanne. Thank you for letting me visit.



11 comments:

  1. Sharon, I'm so glad you're contributing to literature for boys, especially the sort of book they'll want to read. Many boys need all the encouragement they can get to turn a few pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have the same problem, Maggie. I'm going to get my younger son to read this book for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, I'm a huge science fiction fan and grew up reading Robert A. Heinlein's juveniles -- boy books. I've written one as well. Just as well I ended up with three sons, now grown. Your novel sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books for boys = A very great and important thing. So glad that you're catching this reading group at such a critical age.

    The book sounds charming, and I bet kids love it. Best of luck to you, and I wish you many new readers :)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think she's great too catching boys at this age for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie, it's scary but writing for boys seems to come naturally.

    Katie, boy books are fun cuz it's all action. So glad you both popped in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret, you're book, RELOCATED, is on my reading list. Glad we're on the same team.

    Beth, I agree! If we can show them the joy of reading now, they'll carry the love of books we all share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your book sounds great, Sharon. I know my nephews would have loved it when they were kids. For that matter, I would have, too. I loved anything space or alien related. I was such a scifi nerd! Still am. :) Boys can be really hard to hook on reading, so thank you for putting so much effort into writing relatable yet exciting and high energy stories. All kids need more reasons to read anymore and this sound like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is true, April. Attention spans have decreased even for adults, so I have short but potent chapters.

    Suzanne, you have some great friends. I'm pleased you all came to visit.

    ReplyDelete