Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Anything But An Ordinary Life




 
Today, I’m interviewing Helena Fairfax, an author who has led a very fascinating life. Her novel, The Silk Romance, will be released on May 24th! Readers, here’s a chance to win a copy of her e-book before it’s even released! You’ll be one of the first to read it.

Helena, first of all, tell us about this very interesting life you’ve led. I’ve heard you were born in Uganda, and moved to England as a child.

Yes, that’s right.  My parents worked at a teacher training college in Uganda.  We lived in a small village in the north.  I remember arriving in London for the first time most vividly.  It was night time.  My brother and I looked out of the plane windows as we came in to land, and we were amazed at the coloured lights, which spread out red, orange, yellow, blue and green, for miles and miles beneath us.  After our small village in the bush, where everyone knew each other, we just couldn’t believe that so many millions of people could actually live in one place.
It was March when we arrived.  I remember getting out of the plane in the jumper my mum had knitted for me, and shivering to my bones after the heat of Africa!

Do you think your family life played a vital role in your novel?

I came from a large family, and I think the experience of family has definitely played a part in my novel.  Family is extremely important to my heroine, Sophie. So much so, that when put in the position of choosing between her family and the man she loves, she is faced with an insoluble dilemma.
Helena, tell us about your novel, The Silk Romance. 
The Silk Romance is a sweet, contemporary romance, set in the historic silk-weaving district in Lyon, France.  I spent some months as a student in Lyon, working as an au pair.  The city is situated towards the south of France, and the heat of the sun, the vibrant colours, combined with the ancient, shadowystone streets, made it the most romantic place for me.  My hero, Jean-Luc, owns a silk mill in the heart of this historic district.
Nowadays I live myself in a former weaving district, in Yorkshire, England.  Although in Yorkshire we weave wool, not silk, there are many similarities in the troubled history of the industry – but sadly, not in the weather!  Yorkshire can be very bleak in comparison to France.

Which character is most like you and why?

That’s a difficult question.  Both Sophie and her brother are quite tenacious – they don’t give up easily.  I think you’ll agree that’s a characteristic that’s needed to become a published author.  So maybe I share that trait with them.

How can we pre-order your novel, The Silk Romance? I want to be first in line to buy it. 

You can receive a notification email for release of The Silk Romance here in the Muse bookstore   It will also be available on Amazon, Kobo and other major e-tailers from May 24th.

If you’ve enjoyed my post, please visit me on my blog www.helenafairfax.com , or my Facebook page, or follow me on Twitter @helenafairfax.  I love to meet new people.

Well, I’ve signed up for the notification, Helena. I can’t wait to read your book. Thanks for a very fascinating interview. Readers, don’t forget to leave a comment to be one of the first to read a copy of Helena Fairfax’s The Silk Romance.

Thanks for having me Suzanne!  It’s been lovely chatting to you J


14 comments:

  1. Wow, Helena - from Uganda to London! Great interview ladies.
    Your books sounds really good and the cover is fabulous. Wishing you tons of success with it!

    Penny Estelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming, Penny. You're right, it's a long way - and I was homesick for quite a time :( And thanks so much for hosting me, Suzanne. I love the look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting. Why does everybody else have a fascinating life? Anyway, good luck with the book, hope it does well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine's not very interesting, just really busy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Madeleine. I think everyone's life seems interesting from the outside. It's really not that fascinating being me. Wish it was, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heck, I wasn't born in Uganda or lived in Africa. I lived in Chillliwack, B.C., a farming community 100 km east of Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds interesting to me, Suzanne! I'd love to visit Canada some day. My brother lives in Ottawa, and he says Vancouver is one of the most beautiful places he's ever been to

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Ottawa is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been too. But yes, it's true. Vancouver is beautiful. We have lovely mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, quite a little trot around the globe in this post! Great interview, ladies. :) Your novel sounds very intriguing, Helena. I like a character with tenacity. I'll definitely have to put this one on my TBR list. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview! The book sounds amazing as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for coming, April and Erin. What lovely names!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll be hearing April's name a lot more, but I can't tell you why.

    ReplyDelete