Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Books That Will Have Your Kids Reading Under the Covers With A Flashlight



Today, I have the great honour of interviewing Sue Perkins, author of numerous middle grade novels that your kids will be reading under the covers with a flashlight long after their bedtime. Spirit Stealer, Reva's Quest and (to be released in August 2013) The Rainbow Ghost Bus. Readers, leave a comment for a chance to win a copy of one of Sue’s e-books. 

Sue, I happen to own Spirit Stealer and can’t wait to read it. Where did you get the idea for this story?

Spirit Stealer began when I popped into the local library just as it was shutting. I was on my way to a writer's retreat weekend and on the way there I couldn't stop thinking about what happens when the library shuts. Do the characters in the books come out to play? This developed into the librarian's son being shut in the library and finding the scary ghostlike Spirit Stealer. This is the middle part of the book, the beginning is in the past and the end is in the future.


That sounds really good. What about Reva’s Quest?
Reva's Quest started out as a young girl who had no friends so she began writing a book. For a bit of fun I threw in a talking garden gnome. Then the characters took over. Evil monsters, a quest, a ferocious dragon, a knight in shining armor, all blended together with some light hearted banter made a book I really enjoyed writing. The artist also did a fantastic job with the cover, showing my characters in exactly the way I imagined them.



I love the talking  garden gnome. Guess I’ll have to pick that one up too. Tell us about your most recent novel.

The Rainbow Ghost Bus will be released in August 2013. It takes Jack and his sister through the window of an old bus depot into the rainbow color lands. Jack is convinced they must solve the mystery of what happened to the last owner of the bus company who disappeared many years before.

So now, tell us about yourself. Where do you live and what do you do for a living?

I am originally from England but have lived in New Zealand for many years. My home is on three acres of land at the top of New Zealand's beautiful South Island. Three days a week I work as a graphic artist for a local trade paper. Both writing and art stir my creativity and I hope to give up work and write full time in the near future.

Ah, good old New Zealand. I’ve been there, but only got down as far as Rotorua. I loved the volcano cones in the farmer’s fields, not to mention you guys have the best yoghurt I’ve ever tasted! Mmmm. So where can we buy your novels?

My Middle Grade novels can be found at www.museituppublishing.com or on Amazon.com and various other online booksellers. I also have Young Adult books with www.desertbreezepublishing.com and these can also be found on Amazon.com and other booksellers.

You have young adult books too? Please do tell. I’m very curious.

The Dragon series is three young adult books set on an alternate world. Dragon Flame tells the story of Talei and Adri as they battle to save the humans from the black Mondra dragons. Dragon Clans moves forward a few years to the tale of Sie and Byron and their life with the red Valdra dragons. Dragon Ice moves forward twenty years and goes to the frozen north to tell of Neisha and her people who are trapped by the silver ice dragons. I wanted to write about dragons who were entities in their own right and not reliant on their interaction with humans. All the books show the struggle of humans living with little technology and the dragons having their own society. As mentioned above these can be obtained from www.desertbreezepublishing.com.

So there you have it readers, a multi-talented author. Be sure to leave a comment to win one of Sue’s novels. Thanks for a great interview, Sue. This has been very interesting indeed!  Perhaps someday, we’ll sit in a café in New Zealand savouring a cup of yoghurt!


14 comments:

  1. Nice interview, guys! Wow, Sue - the covers in this interview certainly catch the eye! They are great! And your books sound like ones any kid would want to sit down with!

    So that being said - Pick me!

    Good luck!

    pennyestelle@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are certainly intriguing covers, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Reva's Quest and it sounds like I'll like Spirit Stealer too. You girls make New Zealand sound beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic interview, ladies. :) Sue, your books sound intriguing and a little mind bending! Just what a kid needs (I don't mind it either) to keep them interested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments, it's lovely to hear other people's opinion of my books. Thank you so much for hosting me Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely interview! Sue, my daughter is in NZ for a couple of years, in Wellington. She visited the South Island recently, and sent some stunning photos.
    I love the premise of Spirit Stealer, and the cover is well scary! I bet kids love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The challenge. Get kids reading, and keep them reading. It's a wonderful, relaxing hobby. I'm toasting you with milk and homemade chocolate chip cookies.
    Heather - 'Natasha's Dream'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, I'll have some of that! To kids reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helena, Wellington is at the bottom of the North Island and I live at the top of the South Island. Twenty minutes by plane. Hope she's enjoying her stay here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite a distance! It looks so small on the map, but I guess when you're there, the distance grows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview and fun to get to know a bit more about Sue & her books!

    ReplyDelete