Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

King Arthur - Who Could Resist These Two Great Novels by Cheryl Carpinello?



Today, we go back in time – back to King Arthur’s time to be exact, to the world of Cheryl Carpinello! Cheryl has two great middle grade/Young adult novels that are a must read. Readers, leave a comment for a chance to win one of her e-books.



Cheryl, tell us a little bit about yourself.

Thank you, Suzanne, for having me as your guest. I am a twice-retired high school English teacher. I’m afraid I’m one of those people who do not do retirement well. Working with kids is a passion I have never lost.

How funny you’re twice retired! I was a teacher for over twenty years and just loved it. However, when I began writing, all I wanted to do was stay home and type away. Do you still have contact with kids?

Yes. I regularly conduct Medieval Writing Workshops for local elementary/middle schools and for the Colorado Girl Scouts. We explore writing and reading, and it is fulfilling to see young students excited about writing and reading. It seems I'm not the only one who loves Medieval Times and the King Arthur Legend. The kids thoroughly enjoy writing their own medieval stories complete with dragons, wizards, unicorns, and knights.

I wish I had you around when I was studying the middle ages back in grade 8. That would have been so much more fun than doing the dull projects we did back then. So tell us about your wonderful books.

In Young Knights of the Round Table: The King's Ransom, meet 11-year-old Prince Gavin, 13-year-old orphan Philip, and 15-year-old blacksmith apprentice Bryan. Each wants a future different from the others, but they all want to belong. They owe their friendship with each other to one man they call The Wild Man. When an advisor to Gavin’s dad King Wallace is murdered and the valuable jewell known as The King’s Ransom is stolen, The Wild Man is captured and proclaimed to be the culprit. Gavin, Philip, and Bryan bravely vow to clear their friend by taking the Knight’s Oath and embarking on individual quests to save The Wild Man. In the end, each one faces their fears and even death in their determination not to fail. 

Ride along with these unlikely friends as they learn the importance of the cornerstones of Arthurian Legend: Honor, Loyalty, and Friendship. And, don’t miss the characters from the Legend who shown up: King Arthur and his famous sword Excalibur, the Knights of the Round Table, and Sir Lancelot.


I loved this book. I read it a few months back and can’t begin to talk about it enough. I always shout it out on all my school visits. And your other book?

Guinevere: On the Eve of Legend, my first Arthurian tale, gives young readers a glimpse at the young princess. Guinevere and her friend Cedwyn enjoy life as only kids can do. They spend their days hunting rabbits and exploring around the castle. As her 13th birthday approaches, hints are dropped that her life is about to change. First Merlyn shows up, then she finds herself in trouble with her tutor among other happenings. However, it the meeting with her father King Leodegrance and Merlyn that pushes her to rebellion. Guinevere finds herself having to make the decision of a lifetime: Will she choose wisely? Standing by to help her are not only Merlyn and Cedwyn, but also a painted dragon, unicorns, and red deer.

A unique look at this princess who lived several hundred years ago, but who acts just as many young kids today would when they suddenly find that they have to grow up and accept their future whether they understand or not. 

That sounds so good. I can’t wait to read it. Now tell us where we can buy these books.

Sure. Young Knights of the Round Table: The King’s Ransom is available at the following links:

MuseItUp Publishing Bookstore:  http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=322&category_id=191&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1
Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0086MEW76
Amazon Knights Paperback: http://www.amazon.com/dp/148252709X
Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/Boo86MEW76
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-kings-ransom-cheryl-carpinello/1112317555
 
And Guinevere: On the Eve of Legend is available here.

Amazon US:   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0025KUJ36
Amazon UK:   http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0025KUJ36
Amazon Guinevere Paperback:   http://www.amazon.com/dp/143273704X

Cheryl, where can readers find out more about you. And while you’re at it, could you please give us your blog link?

Sure. Here they are.

Blog: http://carpinelloswritingpages.blogspot.com
Author Web Site: http://www.beyondtodayeducator.com
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.carpinello1
Good Reads:  http://www.goodreads.com/cherylcarpinello
 Twitter Home Page: https://twitter.com/ccarpinello

Cheryl, its been wonderful interviewing you. I always enjoy talking to fellow teacher-become-authors, and I enjoy reading your blog. Readers, please leave a comment below. Perhaps you’ll be the lucky recipient of one of Cheryl’s medieval novels.

14 comments:

  1. Great post! I am one of the lucky ones who have read the story of Guinevere. It was a terrific story! I can't wait to read the other one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, Thank you so much for visiting and your kind words.

      Delete
  2. And I read the King's Ransom. Gotta read Guinevere now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, thank you so much for letting me hang out today. Looking forward to meeting your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, sounds like you not only have great stories but are teaching history at the same time. Once a teacher always a teacher. My hat's off to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Spent last weekend as the storyteller at the Colorado Medieval Festival. A great time interacting with kids without having to grade papers!

      Delete
  5. Hi Cheryl,
    You're like the Energizer Bunny, you keep on going writing the wondeful tales that the YA group enjoy. Ahem, I enjoy them too.
    I love the Round Table legends. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie, Thanks for spending part of your busy day with me.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, me too. I have to admit I like kids' books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always loved reading stories set in the Middle Ages. There's something about that time in history that draws me, especially when it's a story about King Arthur, Lancelot, Merlin. What an escape! Sounds like a great read Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks so much for stopping by. Have to say the magnetism of Arthurian Legend is strong!

      Delete
  8. Hi Suzanne,
    The winners of my books are Susan Royal and S. Willett. Thanks again for hosting me!

    ReplyDelete