Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Ever Had A Really Bad Blind Date? Read About Lara's



I’m very fortunate today to be interviewing Susan Royal, author of two intriguing young adult novels. I have recently bought both of her novels and can’t wait to read them. Readers, leave a comment for a chance to win a free e-book copy of one of her novels.
Susan, your most recent release in May of this year was In My Own Shadow. Tell us what it’s about.
Talk about the worst day ever! Lara lets her friend Carrie talk her into a blind date, only it turns out the handsome stranger waiting for Lara after work isn’t Carrie’s cousin after all. And, when they’re chased through a portal to another world, Lara realizes Rhys really is out of this world.

Lyra, her alternate in another dimension, has left clues to the whereabouts of the Book of Secrets that explains the mystery of time travel in Lara’s subconscious.  Or so Rhys thinks. Power-hungry telepaths pursuing them will stop at nothing to get it, even if it means breaking Lara’s mind. To complicate matters, Lara gets tangled up in her feelings for Rhys while exploring her connection with Lyra.

With Rhys as her guardian, a bear of a man named Azle to guide her, and the spirit of Lyra haunting her dreams, Lara must find the Book of Secrets before it falls into the hands of those who want its power.  Only then can she return to her world safely.

Young adult encompasses such a wide range these days I think I need to clarify just a little.  My novels are told in first person by characters who are independent young women, both college-age and taking their first steps out into the big world—kind of New Adult. 

A blind date! I can certainly relate to that having had a few really bad ones. You never know what sort of surprise will meet you when you agree to one of those. So now, what about your other novel, Not Long Ago?
Erin has met the man of her dreams, but as usual there are complications. It’s one of those long distance relationships, and Griffin is a little behind the times-- somewhere around 600 years. 
Erin and her employer, March, are transported to a time where chivalry and religion exist alongside brutality and superstition. Something is not quite right at the castle, and Erin and March feel sure mysterious Lady Isobeil is involved. But Erin must cope with crop circles, ghosts, a kidnapping and death before the truth of her journey is revealed.

Forced to pose as March’s nephew, Erin finds employment as handsome Sir Griffin’s squire.  She’s immediately attracted to him and grows to admire his courage, quiet nobility and devotion to duty.  Yet, she must deny her feelings.  Her world is centuries away, and she wants to go home.  But Erin can’t stop thinking about her knight in shining armor.  
 
Time travel. That’s a winner with any teen or even tween. What are you working on now?

At the moment I’m finishing up From Now Own. When I wrote Not Long Ago, I had no intention of writing a sequel, but my daughter insisted the story wasn’t finished. And she was right. Erin returns to Griffin’s medieval world and travels to mysterious Manx Island, a place where myths, magic and reality are so tightly woven together it’s impossible to separate one from the other.  While there, she discovers some surprising secrets about those she loves.

Susan, tell us about your life. Where do you live and do you have a day job, or is this your day job?
Born in West Texas and raised in south Texas, I make my home in a 100-year-old farmhouse in a small east Texas town that comes complete with a female ghost who has been known to harmonize with my son when he plays guitar.  

I’m married, with three children and four grandchildren.  I’ve spent the last 20+ years working as a secretary for the school district where I live.

My family is rich with characters, both past and present. I spent her childhood listening to her grandmother’s stories of living on a farm in Oklahoma Territory with three sisters and three brothers and working as a telephone operator in the early 20th century.  My father shared stories of growing up in San Antonio in the depression, and through my mother’s eyes I experienced how it felt to be a teenager during WWII. Some of my fondest memories are of sitting at the dinner table or on the porch at night after dark, listening to their stories and using my imagination to picture how everything must have been.

Now Susan, could you give us the links for both of your novels? I’m sure lots of teens would love to get their hands on these books.

In My Own Shadow (fantasy, adventure, romance) http://tinyurl.com/bqbxm41
Not Long Ago (time travel, adventure, romance)
http://tinyurl.com/85vgye3

Thanks, Susan. It’s been a pleasure interviewing you. Readers, remember to leave a comment for a chance to win one of Susan’s e-books.




16 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me today, Suzanne. I really enjoyed meeting you and wish you all the best with your writing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, both stories look great Susan, and what covers!. I was also a school secretary for 21 years. Lots of material for stories, huh?

    Penny Estelle
    pennyestelle@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these sound like fantastic reads! As for blind dates- I met my husband on one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. I love my covers. A school secretary huh? Oh the stories you and I could tell. Then again...

      Oh wow Mary, that sound like a story that needs to be told as well. Lara's didn't turn out quite the way she expected, but I guess all's well that ends well. (You didn't end up in a alternate reality, did you?)

      Delete
  4. I do too, except when it keeps me awake at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of these books...can't wait to have you on my blog later this year, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Katie! Same here. See you then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of time travel, Susan. Wish you the best with your books.
    I met my husband on a blind date, too. Except he wasn't the person I was set up with. We were with a group of people and I was to be introduced to Ron. Problem was, there were two Ron's and I started talking with the wrong one and we've been married for twenty-two years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a plot twist! I love it. That's exactly what happened to Lara. Rhys wasn't her friends cousin after all. Thanks and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Victoria, that is hilarious! And so like real life. Problem with me was that I always seemed to be the blind date that was dropped for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And the winner of the drawing for one of my ebooks is Penny Estelle!!! This was great fun and thanks again for having me Suzanne. Everyone look for Suzanne's guest spot on my blog--susanaroyal.wordpress.com on July 30th for more fun

    ReplyDelete