Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Monday, September 9, 2013

A Lady Who Loves Bugs And Writing - Beverly McClure

Every so often you meet someone whose imagination never quits and whose ideas seem endless. That would certainly fit the description of Beverly McClure. A very charming person to begin with, her kids stories draw you in and intrigue you. Not to mention she is a winner of several awards. Leave a comment at the end of this blog and you might just win one of her e-books. Beverly, welcome.


Aw, what a nice introduction. I hope I can live up to it. Thanks for inviting me, Suzanne.

Beverly, which one of your books is your favourite and tell us about it.

That’s like asking a mother which of her kids is her favorite. Well, I think my YA Historical CAVES, CANNONS, AND CRINOLINES is my choice. The setting is the American Civil War in Vicksburg, MS, 1863.  For forty-seven days the city was under siege. The citizens lived in caves to escape cannon fire. My story is about one family’s daily struggle to survive a changing way of life. The book has been fortunate to win some awards: a gold medal in the Children’s Literary Classic’s Awards, finalist in the Eric Hoffer and Next Generation Indie Book Awards, and Honor Winner in Reader’s Favorite in the YA fiction categories.)


What other books have you written?

My most recent novel is Tween Paranormal: A PIRATE, A BLOCKADE RUNNER, AND A CAT. My other Tween Novel is JUST BREEZE.
Other YA Novels are LIFE ON HOLD, LISTEN TO THE GHOST, REBEL IN BLUE JEANS, and SECRETS I HAVE KEPT.



I also have a picture book, FRANKIE’S PERFECT HOME, and an early reader, TUMBLEWEED CHRISTMAS, published. “Traveler” a short story about our son’s dog is in CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL: WHAT I LEARNED FROM THE DOG. In October, my story “Music in My Heart” will be in CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE SOUL: MESSAGES FROM HEAVEN.

Is writing something you always aspired to?

Haha! Nope. When I was a kid I hated to read. I hated to write. My former teachers probably would faint if they could see me now.

That’s hilarious! What are you working on now?

My WIP is a YA Contemporary Novel, tentatively titled SURVIVORS’ CLUB, the story of four teens that form a club to survive their families and school.
I’m also working on a YA Historical set in the 1780s, during the American Revolution.

Boy, you just never quit. Now could you tell us something quirky about yourself?

Quirky? Well, I have a lot to choose from. OK. I like butterflies, walking sticks (the insect), praying mantis, and garden spiders. This summer when the exterminator had to spray my house and yard for carpenter ants, I tried to rescue as many of the insects as I could because they would not survive otherwise. Unfortunately, capturing them was difficult, and most became unintentional victims. I really miss the little critters.

Aw, how sweet. Now where can we buy your books?



Publishers:



MuseItUp Publishing:  http://museituppublishing.com

Beverly, this has been a very interesting interview. Im looking forward to diving into your world. All your books seem like such an adventure. Readers dont forget to leave a comment for a chance to win one of Beverlys e-books.


Thank you, Suzanne, for letting me share my love of writing and books with you and your fans. I’ll give away a copy of one of my e-books, winner’s choice.

8 comments:

  1. Gosh, Beverly. I knew about your other books, but not Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines. It sounds wonderful! It was great to get to know you even better! Thanks to Suzanne for hosting you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suzanne, for a wonderful interview. I enjoyed answering your questions. Yes, I'm giving away an ebook of the winner's choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheri. Thanks so much for stopping by with your nice comment. I've had meetings today and just now got home to check on things. Glad I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised to hear you hated to read and write as a child. You sure have come a long way -- look at all the books you've written and awards you've received. Awesome! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, Beth. The interview was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is funny, Lexa. I think I started enjoying reading when I was teaching and we read such great Newbery books in class. Then I read to my boys and decided reading was fun. I'm a slow learner. :)Now, there's no stopping me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to announce that the winner of your choice of my eBooks is SA Larsen. Let me know which book you prefer and what format. I can gift it to you from Amazon or B&N if I don't have the format you want. Choices are: Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines, A Pirate, a Blockade Runner, and a Cat, Life on Hold, Just Breeze, Rebel in Blue Jeans, Secrets I Have Kept, and Listen to the Ghost.
    Congrats and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete