Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Elixir Bound Coming in Paperback Soon!

 



I'm very pleased to welcome again, Katie Carroll, whose wonderful novel, Elixir Bound, will shortly be released in paperback! Whoot, whoot! And of course, anyone who follows my blog knows that if you leave a comment, you could win a copy of her e-book. Fire away, Katie.
 
First of all, a big thanks to Suzanne for hosting me and Elixir Bound on this last day of the tour. And thanks to all of the readers who have made it so much fun for me! I thought for this last post I’d talk about endings. (Not about the ending of Elixir Bound because I want of you to go out and read it yourselves!)

I’m talking about those books that you love so much you wouldn’t change a thing…well, maybe except for the ending, just a little. Here is how I would end the following books (spoiler warning, though do you really need a spoiler warning for a post about book endings).

Breaking Dawn – So I’m assuming all you Twilight fans have seen the movies as well as read the books. I wanted the end of book four to be more like the fake-out ending of part 2 of Breaking Dawn. Maybe not necessarily with Carlisle’s head being ripped off, but at least some casualties on both sides. We didn’t even get the obligatory death of an ancillary character at the end. A bit of a cop out if you ask me. I don’t mind a happily-ever-after ending, but it all ended just a little too perfectly for my taste.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – I wouldn’t change a single thing. (“What?” you say. “Not a single thing!”) That’s right. I know a lot of fans didn’t care for the epilogue at the end of book 7, I guess because it tied things up too much and was corny. Personally I didn’t mind this insight into the future of Harry Potter’s world. Maybe I was just feeling sentimental while reading it, but when you spend so much time with characters, sometimes it’s nice to linger with them a little.

The Return of the King – I loved the way the movie had a really long black-out pause right after the ring is destroyed (it was really entertaining in the theaters when people started getting out their seats—obviously those who hadn’t read the book—only to find out the movie was not in fact over). I always felt bad for how it ended for Gollum. He was kind of gross, but he was a ring bearer for a long time and never let it fall into the hands of Sauron and all he gets is a fiery death. All the other ring bearers get to go to the Undying Lands. Why not something better for Gollum?

Mockingjay – My beef with this book (which I love) comes down to a very personal issue for me: sisters dying. Bottom line, I can’t deal with sisters dying in books. And it feels like it happens so often. Prim’s death felt so useless, too, killed by the side she was trying to help. Intellectually I understand her death was a statement about the senselessness and tragedy of war, but emotionally it was hard to experience.

So what stories have you read that you would like to see the endings changed? Please do share!




Elixir Bound blurb:

Katora Kase is next in line to take over as guardian to a secret and powerful healing Elixir. Now she must journey into the wilds of Faway Forest to find the ingredient that gives the Elixir its potency. Even though she has her sister and brother, an old family friend, and the handsome son of a mapmaker as companions, she feels alone.

It is her decision alone whether or not to bind herself to the Elixir to serve and protect it until it chooses a new guardian. The forest hosts many dangers, including wicked beings that will stop at nothing to gain power, but the biggest danger Katora may face is whether or not to open up her heart to love.

You can buy Elixir Bound at the MuseItUp bookstore, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, iBooks, and other online book retailers.



Author Bio:

Katie L. Carroll began writing at a very sad time in her life after her 16-year-old sister, Kylene, unexpectedly passed away. Since then writing has taken her to many wonderful places, real and imagined. She wrote Elixir Bound and the forthcoming Elixir Saved so Kylene could live on in the pages of a book. Katie is also the author of the picture app The Bedtime Knight and an editor for MuseItUp Publishing. She lives not too far from the beach in a small Connecticut city with her husband and son. For more about Katie, visit her website at www.katielcarroll.com, friend her on Facebook, or follow her on Twitter (@KatieLCarroll).

Thanks, Katie. I'm not too sure what book I'd like to change. Let me think on it. Readers, don't forget to leave a comment for a chance to win an e-book copy of Elixir Bound.



17 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, Suzanne! It's always fun to be on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome, my friend. It's such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd change Mocking Jay. It felt wrong to me that Katniss and Peeta ended up together. She was too broken for him. She didn't deserve Gale either. I think in real life, there is no way she and Peeta would have lasted, they both would have ended up with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree Gale and Katniss should not have ended up together. I totally see your point about Katniss and Peeta. Maybe they both should have both ended up with people they didn't know until after the whole revolution. Seems it might have been more healing for both of them that way to have someone with them that didn't remind them of the war.

      Delete
  4. Great post but I must admit I haven't read any of the books you discussed. Thanks to Suzanne, I have become a fan of YA.
    Best of luck with your book. The plot sounds fantastic.
    Heather G - Natasha's Dream
    the saga continues with
    Natasha's Diary - launching in Decemeber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Heather! Despite my "rewrites" of the above endings, I would definitely recommend these books. Though The Lord of the Rings isn't necessarily YA. If you read only one series, pick Harry Potter.

      Delete
  5. There have been a few books I would have changed then endings to but can I remember any of them right now - NO! I will say, I would have changed Gone With the Wind...not sure how, but I didn't like that ending. Katie, your book looks fabulous and how exciting that it's coming out in print. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny! Have you read Scarlett the Gone With the Wind "sequel"? I haven't, but it looks like it puts a new spin on the classic tale.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read Katie L, Carroll's books yet, but I think I would like them, so will be on the lookout. I loved the comments on the other, more well-known novels. In particular, they were positive and appreciative. I bought Hallows when I was in Geneva at an English speaking bookstore and read it through most of our trip, much to my husband's surprise. I read YA from time to time and really enjoy it. Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get a chance to read Elixir Bound, Heather! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts on Hallows. My personal favorite Harry Potter book was Goblet of Fire, but Hallows was a good one, too.

      Delete
  7. Okay, I haven't read the last of the Hunger Games yet, so am not too sure about the Peeta/Gale thing, but I wanted her to end up with Peeta. As far as Gone With the Wind goes, I read it at 15 and thought, "You think you'll get Rhett back? Huh! You're too old now. You're thirty." Of course I think differently now that I'm older and wiser. But I just wanted Scarlett to eat hat. She so deserved it. She was selfish, mean, and totally self-serving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I both love and hate Scarlett. In some ways I respect how she always went after what she wanted, but she really was despicable in so many ways, too. One thing I always think about with female characters is how I would feel about them if they were male. It tends to make me not as judgmental about female characters.

      Delete
  8. Tess of the d'Urbervilles: I want Tess and Angel to run off to the continent together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read that one, Jeff! I'll have to look it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now who was Angel? Katie, I wouldn't forgive female or male Scarlett for having stolen her sister's beau. That was too despicable. But then it was wartime, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The winner of the ecopy of Elixir Bound is Heather G! Congrats. I'll be contacting you via the email you provided on your MuseItUp author bio. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, couldn't get the email link from the Muse website to work, so I contacted you through your webpage.

      Delete