Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Monday, September 2, 2013

How Could A Girl Get Herself in so Much Trouble?

I met Darlene Foster at a marketing seminar a few months back and was very interested to hear about her books. Darlene’s character, Amanda, has made her a bestseller! And if you want to try your luck at winning one of her e-books, just leave a comment at the end of this blog.




Welcome Darlene. Tell us about Amanda and all the trouble she gets herself into. I understand there are three Amanda books.

Thanks, Suzanne, for having me as a guest on your blog. There are three Amanda novels so far and I would love to tell you a little about them.

Amanda, an average Canadian girl, wishes for travel and adventure as she blows out the twelve candles on her birthday cake. The next day she receives tickets to the United Arab Emirates from her Aunt and Uncle who live there. While there she befriends an English girl, Leah, a runaway Princess and Ali Baba, a loyal camel. As she attempts to help out the beautiful Princess, she is chased across the dessert, encounters a sand storm and captured by bounty hunters. She is not sure she should have wished for travel and adventure. Amanda in Arabia- The Perfume Flask


Amanda has the travel bug, and when Leah invites her to join her in Spain, she jumps at the chance. In Spain she meets a young girl who looks like she stepped out of a famous painting. Amanda and Leah try helping her rescue her beloved pony from a mean horse thief as they trek across Spain – always one step ahead of danger.  Amanda in Spain – The Girl in the Painting


When Amanda visits Leah in England, they get lost in a maze, hide in an underground tunnel and ride the London Eye in search of a missing vintage novel that once belonged to Queen Victoria’s children. Amanda in England – The Missing Novel


Amanda’s inquisitive and caring nature gets her into trouble wherever she travels!

And that Leah, I tell you. Now, let’s be honest. Is Amanda based on a real person?

When a friend read the books she commented that perhaps Amanda was a young Darlene. I would say that Amanda is the sort of person the young Darlene would have liked to be. I grew up on a farm and only dreamt of travel and adventure. I was in my late twenties when I first traveled out of the country by airplane.

What is daily life for you? Do you have a day job, or is writing your profession?

During the day I am an Employment Counsellor/Facilitator. I teach people how to effectively look for work in a classroom setting as well as individually. I am also an English as a Second Language Teacher which I do on a part-time basis evenings and weekends.  I write every evening for two hours rain or shine and consider writing my passion.

When can we expect another Amanda book?

I am working on the next book as we speak.  Leah travels to Alberta to visit Amanda. While Amanda is showing her the sites, she finds a stone with mysterious marks on it. It seems a number of people are desperate to get their hands on this stone. I expect Amanda in Alberta – The Writing on the Stone to be available early 2013.

Where can we buy your books?

You can buy my print books at the following stores:

Albany Books, Tsawwassen
Black Bond Books, Ladner
Strawberry Hills Chapters, Surrey

And you can get my e-books here:
http://www.amazon.com/Amanda-Arabia-Perfume-Darlene-Foster/dp/1926760360
Thank you, Darlene. This has been a great interview. Gotta go get one of your books to read. Readers leave a comment for a chance to win an e-book copy. 

Thank you, Suzanne. Good luck to your readers. I would love to read your comments.

27 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Suzanne for inviting me to be your featured author. Love the title. Anyone who knows me, is aware of how much trouble I can get into. Not surprising my heroine gets into trouble wherever she goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny, Darlene. I think I have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were children I was her partner in crime and I can vouch for the wide and varied adventures ( and yes quite often trouble) that we managed to get into. I have always fancied myself to be one of the characters in her books, but I am sure all readers of her books feel the same way. Such captivating stories that seem to draw you right in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did have amamzing imaginations and had a lot of fun (even if we did get into trouble from time to time) I'm sure those imagined adventures have influenced my writing. Thanks for all the love and support, and the great memories!

      Delete
  4. sounds like some very exciting reading.
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Ceil, and I'm long overdue to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview! The books sound amazing Darlene! Wishing you tons of success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed the interview.

      Delete
  7. Lovely interview! Amanda sounds a great heroine, and the adventures are the sort that children love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Amanda has quite a following already. The children, boys and girls seem to like her a lot.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations Helena Fairfax! You are the winner of an Amanda adventure e-book. Please let me know which one you would like and your email address. Contact me at darlene dot foster at telus dot net

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed the interview very much! Amanda sounds like the kind of character children would love. I also did not travel until I was much older and appreciate the excitement of thinking about a foreign country and imagining yourself there. I would love to read one of Darlene's books.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Children do seem to like Amanda but I am also finding many adults enjoying the adventures.

      Delete
  9. Isn't that just the best thing about being a writer? We can go anywhere into any world we can dream up? And yes, we keep a bit of ourselves in the character. Your books sound like a lot of fun and I bet you had fun writing them! Congratulations and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your best wishes. I did have fun writing the books and reliving my travel experience through the eyes of a twelve year old!

      Delete
  10. Great interview, Suzanne and Darlene. The Amanda series sounds like a lot of fun. I loved that kind of story as a kid, and I don't think I ever outgrew it. :) I'll definitely check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you April. I do hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thoroughly enjoyed Amanda in England the missing novel and must get around to reading the others.
    Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barbara. Your support means so much to me.

      Delete
  13. Fun interview! I think my daughter will love this series, especially since my wife's name is Amanda. I love the travel aspect in them. We took my daughter to Spain last year so I know it'll intrigue her too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is great when parents take their children travelling. Such a wonderful experience. I'm sure your daughter will recognize some of the sights in Amanda in Spain. I do hope she enjoys the books.

      Delete
  14. Darlene, your books are fun for the young and the young-at-heart! I really enjoyed Amanda in Spain!
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Christa. May you always be young-at-heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I suppose there will always be a bit of how-we-wish-we-had-been in our characters. Amanda's adventures sound fabulous. I'd most likely pick Amanda in England first because missing novels are just irresistible. :) Best of luck with Amanda in Alberta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudine. I think you would enjoy Amanda in England.

      Delete