Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Yikes! I've Been Hijacked By Kathi Sprayberry!





Good Morning! My name is KC Sprayberry. Suzanne De Montigny of Suzanne's Thought for the Day has let me hijack her blog today. The purpose is to tease all of her very dedicated readers with information about my soon-to-be-released YA coming of age novel, Take Chances.


Today we will be doing an author interview, and I will give up information, no matter what!

Do you have a set writing schedule for writing, or do you just go with the flow?

A set schedule gives me the shivers. I definitely go with the flow. That works very well for me, although I have to admit that I do have to make notes about new characters when they mysteriously pop up at the worst possible moment. Like Michael Taylor in Take Chances. He wasn't in the first or even the second version of this book, and I always felt like there was something or someone missing for Julie. Then as I was revising yet another version, in strolls Michael, with his hot pirate looks and his caring attitude about Julie, and I had to find a way to set him up as a major player!

What is your writing routine once you start a book?

To write until the muse drops from exhaustion. Depending on the depth/intensity of the particular portion of the book that I'm working on, that can be anywhere from a page or two to several chapters. If I happen to have a very energetic muse, I can get up to a third of a book done in a day, but that's from about six in the morning until nine at night.

What about your family, do they know not to bother you when you are writing – or are there constant interruptions?

My family has condensed as my older children moved from home. When I first started writing, my "office" was a corner of our basement area, where I competed with the spiders creeping in for workspace. Then, when my now teen was a toddler, always screaming for Mommy when he didn't get his way, I worked my schedule around him. There were two other children still at home, one a teen, one a tween. They were into their own thing at the time, and loved how Mom let them take on watching their brother and keeping the house somewhat quiet.

Once my now teen got into sixth grade, he was more than happy to let me have more and more writing time every day. That is, I could have that time, as long as I showed up for his concerts, which I did with a great deal of pride. His talent with a saxophone started when he was four, and only months after getting professional instruction in sixth grade, he was playing music most can't handle – such the opening notes of Smoke on the Water.

Unfortunately, now he wants my attention at the worst possible moments. After one terrorized screech from me, as he interrupted a very intense plot moment, my hubby posted this sign over my now expanded office – Danger Stand Clear 50 Feet! Our teen doesn't just waltz in and interrupt, not before he checks to make sure that I won't hit the ceiling and scream loud enough for the neighbors to wonder what's going on!

What do you to do relax and recharge your batteries?

Loaded question, since writing has been my way of relaxing for years. I'll read a book for pleasure, not to review it. Then there are the times I check in with my friends online. Doesn't everyone do that these days? Occasionally, I'll grab my camera and just drive, stopping only when I see something that grabs my attention. That, of course, won't be the usual subjects, definitely no people in those pics, just something like say a very old tree that collapsed after a series of torrential rains, or an old house with broken windows, sagging porch, and an air of abandonment that grabs me with the question of: What happened in there?

I've also been known to pick up the things I love to do such as counted cross stitch, or get in the kitchen and make bread, or toss together a meal comprised of all new dishes.

What truly motivates you in general? In your writing?

Most people my age look forward to sleeping in every day, when they're not working. Me? My alarm goes off at five every day. On the rare occasion I'm not around to smack it, but usually I'm bouncing out bed, ready to tackle a new day. Yes, I'm a morning person, always have been. To me, sleeping in is a waste of great inspiration time. No matter if it's a new story, motivating my teen to get out of bed and ready for his activities or school, or just having fun with our dog, the morning is my best time.
What motivates me in my writing isn't much different. Most new writing occurs prior to noon. That's when I'm at my most creative. The editing and revising comes during the afternoons, with reading for reviews in the evenings. My home might be small by some standards, but the walls expand to include the world when I'm writing!

Blurb:

Julie Bond grew up in Europe as a military brat. She found her very first permanent home in Landry, GA as a teen going into high school. Almost four years later, she's having pre-graduation jitters and flashing back to an incident of school violence she experienced in Europe. She attempts to convince herself that it can never happen again, but continually finds herself flashing back to that day no matter how hard she tries.
The people around her present any number of problems for Julie, and she's hard put to keep from drowning under all the issues. Then Michael--a cool guy she's had a crush on for the last three years—returns from traveling the US as a photographer, and Julie now has one more thing to distract her as she prepares to leave high school. One thing she firmly believes in: no one will ever invade her classroom with violence again.
Once again, the impossible happens. Once again, she's in a classroom with a madman holding a gun. Once again, she must survive. 


Teaser Excerpt:

The bell rings.
Finally.
I jump to my feet, like everyone else, ready to run for freedom.
"In closing," she says. "I shall see all of you at the graduation ceremony Saturday morning. Have a wonderful summer."
Mentally pumping a fist celebrating my survival, I hurry out the door, but slow down when Hugh Townsend walks out of Spanish class into the hallway. The look on his face makes me wonder who or what terrified him.
"Did Senorita Gonzales fail you?" I ask.

"No." He stares at his feet. "I have to do my oral final tomorrow."
Since meeting him, about an hour after the movers left, I thought everything scared him. Loud noises make Hugh cringe, people yelling brings tears he tries to hide. Then I learned his story and wanted to get rid of his stepdad..


Bio:

KC Sprayberry started writing young, with a diary followed by an interest in English. Her first experience with publication came when she placed third in a Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge contest while in the Air Force, but her dedication to writing came after she had her youngest child, now a in his senior year of high school. 

Her family lives in Northwest Georgia where she spends her days creating stories about life in the south, and far beyond. More than a dozen of her short stories have appeared in several magazines. Five anthologies feature other short stories, and her young adult novel Softly Say Goodbye, released in 2012. During 2013, more young adult stories have been released: The Ghost Catcher, Who Am I?, Family Curse … Times Two, and Amazon Best Seller, Canoples Investigations Tackles Space Pirates.
You can find her on the web here:



Stick around for the full tour. Why? On September 26 through September 29, 2013, you can pick up my other YA coming of age books, Softly Say Goodbye and Who Am I? free on Amazon:
























Thank you Suzanne De Montigny of Suzanne's Thought for the Day for hosting me today. Tomorrow you find the next Teaser Tour on April Erwin Projecting A.

6 comments:

  1. To both of my friends. Great interview ladies! There's dedication, working with creepy spiders hanging around!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not kidding! I'm sure you've all heard me screaming so loud it can be heard all over the world when I see a spider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the excerpt! And wish I could bound out of bed at five. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like Kathi. I'm up at the crack of dawn too. And so is my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lively, fun interview. Giggled at the sign your DH posted over your door. Good supporter of your writing it seems. Best wishes! Welcome to Muse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone.

    Penny: Yes, I did compete with spiders - and I am real good with a fly flap (swatter for all you non-Southerners!) It was the only spot in our small house, until some of my children moved out.

    Helena: Bounding out bed at 5 is late. Prior to all but 1 of our children moving out, it was 4:30, so I could have enough coffee to deal with 3 children going to 3 different schools, and of course I was the taxi driver!

    J Q Rose: My DH was the one to drive me into doing what I love, after our youngest was born. All of our children, 8 from our combined families, provide me a lot of fodder for my work!

    ReplyDelete