Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Friday, October 4, 2013

Need Some Good Books For Your 11-Year-Old?



I just love it when I find an author who writes a lot of middle grade novels because that happens to be the age my children are at. I’m always looking for something good that they’ll enjoy. And then comes Kai Strand. I think my 11-year-old would love her stories. Readers leave a comment for a chance to win one of Kai Strand’s e-books.


Kai, welcome. How many books have you had published so far?

I have five books total. Four middle grade and one young adult. I also have short stories included in several story collections or anthologies.

Wow! That’s a lot. Tell us about your most recent novel.


My most recent novel is my young adult super villain novel, King of Bad. Everybody loves a bad boy and Jeff Mean is King of Bad. He’s comfortable with – even proud of - his bad boy image until he is recruited by Super Villain Academy, where you learn to be good at being bad. Surrounded by kids who can suck all the water out of your body or make you dance 24/7, bad takes on a whole new meaning. Jeff is left to wonder if he is bad enough for SVA.

That sounds super interesting. Which one of your novels would you recommend for an 11-year-old boy to read first?


My latest middle grade novel, Beware of the White, is perfect for a boy that age. It’s a Narnia like tale with an alternate world filled with fascinating creatures. Our main character, Terra, not only learns she is a Nature’s Spirit, destined to work in Underworld city of Concord, but she also learns there is a prophecy that names her as the only one to thwart the power hungry bad guy, Blanco, leader of the death tribe. A lot of pressure for a girl who just turned 12 years old!

I heard you’ve won an award. Please do tell 

My first novel, The Weaver, was a finalist in the 2012 EPIC eBook awards.  Since I’ve been a judge (in different categories, of course) for that contest before, I really understood how many entries The Weaver rose above to become one of the three finalists. It was such an honor. 

Tell us about your life. Are you a jockey, newspaper deliver, or washing machine repair woman? Or do you write all the time. Do you have children?

I’m a very lucky wife and the mother of four children, two of whom are still at home (high school age). I have to admit that life feels ‘simple’ with only two kids at home after all those years of coordinating for four separate lives beyond mine. I recently made the decision to stay home and write full time. I more recently started freaking out about that decision. Honestly, I decided to give myself two years to really concentrate on my writing, so my mania is about a year and a half too early. At least the anxiety’s over if I’ve made the right decision or not, keeps me writing!

Where can we buy your e-books?

All of my books except for Beware of the White are available in print as well as electronically. Readers can read the blurbs and find the different buy links on my website: www.kaistrand.com. I have separate tabs for my middle grade, young adult and short stories. I also have companion materials for many of the books that can be downloaded; crafts, word searches, teacher’s guides, etc.

Thank you, Kai. It’s been a pleasure talking to you.

Thank you for having me, Suzanne.  Don’t forget one lucky commenter will win an ebook of their choice from my available titles. You have three days to comment. Good luck!


12 comments:

  1. Very nice! I'm always looking for stories for my grandkids. Yours look great Kai. Thanks for sharing and am wishing you tons of success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your writing, Kai, and congrats on your EPIC award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helena. Fingers crossed there will be more!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Suzanne, for hosting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the mom of three boys in the tween-to-teen range, I know how hard it can be to get them interested in reading. Your books sound like they might do the trick, Kai. I'll have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, Heather, and I love to hear what they thought.

      Delete
  5. Sounds interesting! I'm always on the lookout for boy's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that girls will read anything.

      Delete
  6. Kai, "King of Bad" intrigues me no end! I must get to know Jeff. I hope the book is listed in GoodReads so I can add it to my TBR virtual pile.

    Good luck with all of them,
    Loren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loren! Jeff is a good bad guy. Or is it a bad good guy? And, yes, it is on Goodreads. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Congrats to Heather. You won an electronic version of one of my books. Please email me (kaistrand@yahoo.com) with the title and version you want. You can browse my website to choose from the middle grade and young adult novels.

    Thanks everybody!

    ReplyDelete