Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Terrible Secret of the Popular Teenage Girl


I am so pleased to have one of my very favourite Muse authors visit today – Barbara Ehrentreu. I can’t begin to say how often I have shouted out her novel, If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor. I’ve said over and over that this is a book that every teen girl should read. Whenever I describe to kids during school visits how Jennifer Taylor has a deep and terrible secret, they beg me to please reveal it to them…and I never do. And now, Barbara has another novel coming soon. Readers, leave a comment at the end of this blog to be the very lucky person who wins a copy of one of Barbara Ehrentreu’s ebooks.


Barbara, welcome. I’m so honoured to have you again. Please, oh please, tell us about this new novel. When is it going to be released and what is it about?

First of all, Suzanne, I can’t tell you how pleased I am to be here. Due to my family situation I haven’t had the time to talk about my book anywhere, so this is wonderful. Also thank you for talking about it to young readers.

The new novel is called WHEN MY LIFE CHANGED. It should be released around fall. I am in first edits now with it. It is about a fifteen-year-old girl named Lauren whose life changes one night with a phone call from her father who is having a heart attack. She starts to think of her life before the phone call and after the phone call.  Or as she says, before pc and after pc. As the story continues her father’s health becomes her focus and she finds that many things in her life are changing including her relationship with her best friend Joey. Before the phone call, all she could think about was playing softball and the Mets. Add to this her best friend is going out with her enemy who is a mean girl. Now suddenly Lauren is thinking of him as more than a friend. Could there be problems ahead?

I’m just sitting on pins and needles waiting to read it. Does this new story come from something real that happened in your life? Do any of the characters bare a resemblance to real people you know?

Most definitely this comes from my experience when my late husband had a heart attack and needed bypass surgery. I started it during NaNoWriMo, but I didn’t finish it until the following year. A lot of the scenes come straight from my own situations. The character of Lauren is not like anyone I know. She is probably crafted from the hopes and dreams of my husband. He always wanted to have an athletic daughter and he would probably have loved this character. I don’t think I ever read this to him. Her sister Diane is probably based loosely on one of my daughters. The other characters just popped up as I was writing.

This novel went through a great deal of critique before I felt it was ready. It took me five years to get it where it needed to be. As with my first novel it went through lots and lots of rewrites.

So what’s next?

I have another novel, FOOTSTEPS ON THE SAND, which is not like either of these. The main character is a sixteen-year-old boy whose family inherits a beach house in the Hamptons. When he has a surfing accident and needs to be in his room, he finds his grandfather’s journal and his old surf board. He also finds his grandfather’s ghost who accompanies him wherever he goes including surfing. His grandfather won many surfing trophies and he makes it his business to teach the boy to surf.

This is not really finished yet, but it should be ready probably by next year.

Where can we buy your books?


IF I COULD BE LIKE JENNIFER TAYLOR is out as an ebook and in paperback here:

MuseItUp Publishing Bookstore:

Amazon:

Barnes and Noble:

Kobo:

I am giving away a copy of IF I COULD BE LIKE JENNIFER TAYLOR to the lucky commenter who wins.

Well, I just can’t wait! Thank you, Barbara.

Thank you, Suzanne, for inviting me and giving me the opportunity to talk about my books. You know you are invited to be on my radio show and my blog in July. We will let your readers know when we have the dates set.

Looking forward to it!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Suzanne. Thank you so much for inviting me to your blog. There is only one correction I would like to make. My second novel's title is changed and it is my fault for sending you the wrong title. It is now called AFTER. You can change it whenever you are able to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I was an actual NDE and because I’m not from earth, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven's gonna be like for us: meet this ultra-bombastic, ex-mortal-Upstairs for the most-extra-groovyNblatant, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for an eternal, BIG-ol-warp-drive, kick-ass, party-hardy, LotsMoreThan101Flavors you DO NOT wanna miss the smmmokin’-hot-deal. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! Cya soon.

    ReplyDelete