Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Books About Monsters - Jami Gray

I’m a little late on blogging this week, but not to fret since I have Jami Gray with me talking about the darker side of fairy tales. Readers, leave a comment at the end of the blog for a chance to win one of her e-books. Take it away, Jami!


Thanks, Suzanne. I have always loved the darker fairy tales, not the Disney kind they’re just too…bright and shiny.  The real Brother Grimm stories, now those were exciting.  Their monsters were scarier because they hid behind masks of normality, think the woodcutter’s wife in Hansel and Gretel.

For Raine McCord, the heroine of SHADOW’S EDGE and SHADOW’S SOUL, her first spark came when I was listening to a song by Nine Inch Nails titled “Right Where It Belongs”.  The song’s chorus speaks about the darker side in all of us, and how it blurs the division between right and wrong.

This started me down the spiral of questions and answers until Raine starting haunting me from dark corners.  When she finally cornered me in a rain-drenched alley in Portland, I just couldn’t refuse her request and my first book, SHADOW’S EDGE was born.

I know what you’re talking about. I’ve had characters not let me go either until I finally sit down and let them come to life. So tell me about your books.

Alright. In the first two books of the Kyn Kronicles, Raine begins to learn that not all monsters are easily defined.

SHADOW’S EDGE follows Raine down a bloody trail of bodies into the shadowy world of power plays and half-truths, while forcing her to face the monster crouched inside.  Now it’s her turn to decide who’s the real monster--the one destroying the ones around them or the one who’s hunting them?

When a simple task takes a nightmarish turn, in SHADOW’S SOUL, Raine comes up against one of the most feared creatures of the Kyn world--a Soul Stealer.  Battered in body and mind, she finds undiscovered strength in her partnership with Gavin as together they unravel the web of secrets and hidden vendettas haunting the Southwest Kyn.

For my third book, I decided to leave Raine and Gavin alone and brought Xander Cade on to the stage in SHADOW’S MOON. Quirky, strong and unique, she holds her own in a male dominated culture. However, underneath she faces hard learned insecurities—how to protect those you love, even when it’s not possible.


Much like life, everything that happens to a person, every action, every reaction causes a chain reaction that echoes down the line.  It may not be immediately, but it will come back and bring with it new and more demanding challenges.  That’s what creating a believable world is about, and exploring those twists and turns is why I write.

That sounds really interesting. Sounds like you’re impassioned. So where can we find you and our books?

Amazon.com: Jami Gray on Amazon
Muse It Up Publishing:  http://museituppublishing.com
Website:     www.JamiGray.com

Thanks, Jami. You sound like an amazing writer.




9 comments:

  1. Much thanks to Suzanne for letting me come over and share. Come share what your favorite fairy tale is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jami and Suzanne. Enjoyed the interview. Nothing like a good monster story especially when you're not sure whether the monster is hiding within you! Best of luck, Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((Waves)) Hi and much thanks for the kind words! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  3. You have my attention with the plot. Monsters/demons within.
    HGreenis - The Natasha Saga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather! Congrats! You're our winner. I've sent you a copy of SHADOW'S EDGE for a little reading excitement. Please let me know if it makes it through (jamigray@cox.net).
      Many thanks to all who've stopped by!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jami and Suzanne! When I was a little girl I read all the dark fairy tales of Grimm. A few stand out: Snow White and Rose Red and The Dancing Princesses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jami and Suzanne, I love the darker fairy tales, too. Interesting to hear how your characters grabbed you, Jami! Your books sound a great read. Thanks for introducing us to Jami, Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couple of my favs were never Disney tales--The Handless Maiden and The Raven. Dark as they are, the brothers Grimm told good stories. Thank you guys for coming over and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have rather fond memories of The Wizard of Oz. I know it's not a fairy tale, but I would love for my children to see it. I used to watch it about once a year. I can't find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete