Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

You Know How Girls Compete? Read Star of the Team


Today, I have the honour to welcome back Beverly McCLure, a wonderful author of tween and teen novels. I had the privilege to read one of her other novels, A Pirate, A Blockade Runner, and a Cat, and found it to be well-written good wholesome fun. And readers, if you leave a comment, you will have a chance to win an e-book copy of Beverlys new novel. Beverly, welcome.



Beverly, please tell us about your new novel.

STAR OF THE TEAM is the story of eleven-year-old Kate Taylor, a girl like many other girls who want to be the best at whatever they do. In Kates case, its playing basketball.  Her goal is to be the star of the team she plays on. Shes good, but Emily, the new girl at school is good too, and makes it clear that she plans to be the star of the team.  Kate faces not only Emilys challenge but an accident, as well, that may even keep her from playing in the games, much less being the star.


Oh, that poor girl. That must be quite the conundrum. I remember a friend of mine,who was the star athlete at my elementary school, developed a problem with her hip and had to sit out Sports Day. It was also the end of her athletic career as she had to have a joint replaced that prevented her leg from growing.

That is so sad. Sometimes sports can be dangerous.

What made you write this story? Is it personal? Or is it just little voices that whisper stories in your head?

Yes, little voices often whisper their stories in my ear. I love it when that happens. Our families, poor unsuspecting children and spouses, also provide writers with many lovely tales to write about. This story was born from the games I watched one of my granddaughters play. One thing I noticed was how competitive the girls were. They played for fun, but they were also very serious about the games. Visions kept appearing to me of a team and the characters on that team, so I started playing around with ideas, and the result was STAR OF THE TEAM. To increase the suspense of whether Kate would succeed or fail in being the star, I added another incident from my granddaughters life and it worked perfectly.

So what have you been doing lately when youre not writing?

When Im not writing, I enjoy taking walks and photographing flowers, clouds, birds, butterflies, and just about everything. I also am a genealogy fan and love to research my family history and work on scrapbooks.  To relax, I play the piano.

Hurray, the piano! So do I. Could you please post your link so my readers can scoop up your new book?

Id be happy to.

Barnes and Noble: http://tinyurl.com/18r6ox4

Thank you, Beverly. Always a pleasure! And readers, dont forget to leave a comment for a chance to win Star of the Team.


Thank you, Suzanne, for letting me share my book and my life.

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today, Suzanne. You ask great questions. Kate and I enjoyed answering them.
    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview, ladies. It's so true that family provides the inspiration for many a tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it is. My son's in my present project.

      Delete
    2. And we're so happy they do, Heather. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like Kate has a lot of challenges to face. Great interview! I'm very impressed about the piano playing. My mom taught it, and tried to teach me, but I was all thumbs! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I took piano lessons for five years, Lexa, not too happily about it. Now, though, I'm thankful I stayed with it. It's relaxing to sit down and play. A nice change of pace. I also played clainet in the band and accompained other students on the piano when they entered contests. The best part of school for me.

      Delete
    2. I played flute in the band and didn't have the lungs for it. Took up violin in my forties and love it.

      Delete
  4. When I was trying to decide what instrument to play in the band, they tried me out on the flute. I couldn't get a sound. :) I always wanted to play the violin. Glad you are. It's such lovely music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So if you are a member of Beverly's family, watch out - you will end up in a book!
    Congratulations, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those little voices can sure lead to many stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your interview, Beverly. I love it when little voices speak to me and tell me a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. That's part of the fun in writing, isn't it? Listening to those voices. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Is this available in print? It sounds like one my granddaughter would really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Karen. Yes, Star is available inn print at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I hope your granddaughter enjoys the story if you decide to buy one. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. I wish I could play an instrument. Used to, but lost that ability somewhere along the way. Got your book, Beverly, I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes our lives are just too busy to do all the things we'd like to, c lee.
      Great, I hope you enjoy Kate's story.

      Delete
  10. And the winner of a PDF copy of Star of the Team is .... Kay LaLone, chosen by Random Org. Please send me your email, Kay, and the book will be on its way. Beverlysmcclure (at) aol (dot) com
    Thanks to everyone for your nice comments. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are story ideas everywhere, and they whisper to me too. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Medeia. Yes, those little voices are important. They say a lot.

      Delete