Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Friday, January 2, 2015

Royally Great Novels - Susan Royal

Susan Royal, the perfect name for an author who writes royally great books. I read her YA paranormal novel, Not So Long Ago, with its surprise twists and turns, and fell into her world as naturally as I would fall onto the couch on a lazy afternoon. This is an author with a great imagination and an effective style of writing. Readers, leave a comment for a chance to win one of her ebooks.

Hi Suzanne. It’s great to be here at the beginning of a brand new year. Here’s hoping we both have our best writing year ever!


Here, here! Susan, please do tell us about your most recent novel. 

From Now On is my latest book. It takes place on mysterious Manx Island. Some dear friends of mine live on the Isle of Man situated in the middle of the Irish Sea and their descriptions and stories of its history inspired me to use a version of it in my book. Erin travels to the island to search for her beloved Griffin who has disappeared after going there on a mission for Lady Isobeil. I am happy to say some of my favorites (and yours too I hope) from the first book are back, along with some totally new characters I think you’ll like just as much.


So is this a sequel to Not Long Ago?

Yes, but it didn’t start out that way.  Shortly before it came out, my daughter, Carrie, read the manuscript to get a feel for the book trailer she was creating. When she finished, she called me immediately. “That’s not the end, is it?”

I felt as though I’d resolved all the major questions and ended the story in a good place. “Well, yes. Didn’t you like it?”

“Yeah, but…you can’t stop there.”

“What do you mean?”

“Erin and Griffin’s story isn’t finished. I want to know what happens next!”

And that’s how it became a series. I’ve already begun my third book in the series. As for what’s going to happen to Erin and Griffin this time? It’s too soon to tell, but here’s a hint. The relationship between the two love birds is going to continue to develop. In addition, I’ve been doing research on the caves in Wales, blood moons and ghost stories.

Ohhhhh, ghost stories. Love it. Now tell us about your other books.

In My Own Shadow is a YA fantasy. Talk about the worst day ever! Lara lets her friend Carrie talk her into a blind date, only it turns out the handsome stranger waiting for Lara after work isn’t Carrie’s cousin after all. And, when they’re chased through a portal to another world, Lara realizes Rhys really is out of this world. Lyra, her alternate in another dimension, has left clues to the whereabouts of the Book of Secrets that explains the mystery of time travel in Lara’s subconscious.  Or so Rhys thinks. Power-hungry telepaths pursuing them will stop at nothing to get it, even if it means breaking Lara’s mind. To complicate matters, Lara gets tangled up in her feelings for Rhys while exploring her connection with Lyra. Lara must find the Book of Secrets before it falls into the hands of those who want its power.  Only then can she return to her world safely.

Xander’s Tangled Web is also a YA Fantasy, due out in Fall, 2015. After a late night visit to Battington’s marketplace, Princess Mena has vanished without a trace. Merchants are frantic, because King Leander has called for a curfew and postponed the spring festival. Certain his former constable is the man for the job, the mayor hires Xander to investigate, hoping he can solve the mystery in a hurry so things can go back to normal. Only Xander’s not so sure that’s possible. He knows whenever romance is involved, folks who are normally very sensible seem to lose all reason. In addition to sorting out truths, half-truths and outright lies, he must deal with gypsies, an attempted robbery and an incompetent constable before he gets to the bottom of things.

Where do you get these ideas from?

The idea for In My Own Shadow came to me when I was in high school, completely caught up in Poul Anderson’s Three Hearts and Three Lions and The Glory Road by Robert Heinlen. I wanted to write an out of this world adventure like they did.

Not Long Ago started out as a practice writing a good opening. It sat around for months before I decided where I wanted to go with it. And since I’ve decided I have lots more story to tell, there’s no telling where it will end up.

Xander’s Tangled Web came about when my son’s company sent him on a weeklong trip to a place in Arkansas years ago. The town was so small, they rolled up the sidewalks at night.  One night he got so bored he wrote a little piece about Xander, a little person traveling into Battington for supplies. I took it from there, made Xander a former constable trying to solve the case of the missing princess.

Wow! I love how you get ideas from your kids. I get mine to proof listen to my stories, and it’s amazing how much they catch. Now tell us something interesting about your real life.

One of the biggest things these days is repurposing. But I was doing it long before it became popular. In my house you’ll find locker baskets used for storage, curtains made out of quilts, a headboard that was a panelled door in a former life, mason jars filled with everything but preserves or jelly. I use old silverware to make wind chimes and jewelry. I love taking something vintage and finding another use for it. One of my favorite places to shop is Good Will. Then there are garage sales, flea markets, swap meets.

I love garage sales too. Now, how about something funny or embarrassing?  

Okay, this should be easy. I’m a terrible klutz, always have been. I was at the mall, shopping with my daughter. We had gotten separated and I was texting to find out where she went. Head down, walking out of the shoe store, I could see outside in my peripheral vision so I kept walking and ran right into the plate glass window. I didn’t go back into that store for a while, needless to say.

I had something similar happen to me many years ago when I lived in California where most commercial buildings are made of flexible earthquake proof glass. I had left the store, and then turned back, deciding I wanted that top after all. The windows were so clean they looked like they were open and crash. I knocked a tooth loose.

So Susan, where can we purchase your books? I’d love to get the sequel to Not Long Ago.

It’s About Time Series: From Now On (time travel, adventure, romance)

In My Own Shadow (fantasy, adventure, romance)
http://tinyurl.com/knda4dy

And here are the book trailers.

It’s About Time Series: Not Long Ago (time travel, adventure, romance)
http://tinyurl.com/pepshqd


All books available at MuseItUp, Amazon, B&N, Goodreads
http://susanroyal.moonfruit.com
http://susanaroyal.wordpress.com
  
Thanks Susan, it’s been really interesting. Readers leave a comment for a chance to win a copy of one of Susan Royal’s novels.

Thanks for having me today Suzanne, and readers please head on over to my blog and check out my interview with Suzanne. It’s at susanaroyal.wordpress.com. Leave a comment to be entered for a free copy of her book, The Shadow of The Unicorn, as well.

22 comments:

  1. popped in to say hi.
    Heather G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to learn more about all the Muse authors and loving it.. Love anything with time travel in it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too, Jean. Are you an author or reader?

      Delete
    2. Congratulations, Jean. You have won the copy of Shadow of the unicorn. Please contact me at sfierymountain@gmail.com so I can send it to you.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Heather! Thanks for stopping by. You, too, Jean. I love time travel too, but I guess that's obvious, lol. Thanks also, Suzanne for having me. This has been fun. What a great way to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Susan. I'm starting to get back into the swing of things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan and Suzanne. I enjoy reading mystery stories and yours sound like they are fun to read, Susan. I hope I win the free copy and that I win a free copy of your book, Suzanne. Somehow I haven't read it yet.If not I will get my own copy. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I'm going to have to read your newest book, Barbara. I so enjoyed If I Could Be Like Jennifer Taylor, and I'm sure your new book, After, will be another good read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview, Suzanne! I interviewed Susan Royal just before Christmas but there was plenty I learned in your blog. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you Dawn. We did have fun, didn't we? Let's do it again soon.

      Delete
  8. Such intersting stories. Congratulations on all of them, Susan. I enjoy ghost stories and fantasies and just about any kind of story. It's fascinating, too, how a series can get started. Lots of fun as well. There's something nice about watching the same characters grow and change and have different adventures. Best of luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Beverly. Erin and Griffin are fast becoming old friends, and I'm hoping to find interesting ways for their characters to grow for several books to come!

      Delete
  9. Hi S and S, what a great interview. I like to be "in" on the behind the scenes plotting of a book. Susan, what an imagination you have! You go, Grrl! And I bet you have fun when you write those fantastic stories. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JQ. My imagination gets my characters into all kinds of interesting situations. In fact, I have so much fun creating these worlds it makes them hard to leave sometimes!

      Delete
  10. Great interview. It whetted my appetite for books I might have missed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI SUSAN, YOU ARE NEW TO ME AND I HOPE TO GET THE CHANCE TO READ YOUR BOOKS IN FUTURE.

    linda_bass@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Linda! I hope you do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jean, you have also won a copy of one of my books. Please email me at ssn_royal@hotmail.com with the title and format you wish. Thanks again for your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've nominated you for an award. You can pick it up at my blog.
    http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com
    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete