Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Monday, May 11, 2015

I Live in a Doghouse


So I was leafing through all my kindle books on my iPad and came across Beverly Stowe McClures I Live in a Doghouse. The cover was pleasing and the title funny, so I dived in, and Im so glad I did. She had me from the first page to the last. It was funny, charming, yet dealt with serious issues too. But not only that, it was so well written. But hey, lets get Beverly herself to tell us about this great tween novel no child should miss. And readers, dont forget to leave a comment for a chance to win a free ebook copy of I Live in a Doghouse.


Beverly, please tell us about your novel.

Eleven-year-old Nick Cassidy's stepsister delights in calling him gross names. His half-sister loves for Nick to push her in the stroller, to his embarrassment. What if the guys from school see him? But all Nick wants is his father to come back and take him away from this crazy family. Is it any wonder he sometimes lives in the doghouse?

I LIVE IN A DOGHOUSE is the story of a boy's struggles to accept his new family while he longs for the old. When his father finally returns, will Nick's dreams come true? Or will he discover that memories sometimes are faulty, and it’s best to forget the past and treasure the present?

Where did you get the idea for this novel?

Often, a little voice will whisper in my ear and tell me his or her secret. Thats what happened this time. One evening, I was almost asleep when the voice spoke to me. I live in a doghouse, a boy said. Well, that got my attention for sure. How could I sleep after that? I couldnt, so I asked the boy, Why? It took a lot of wild guesses on my part, but he finally told me his story, at least partly. And the writing began.

Has this story won any awards yet? Im totally expecting it to.

Thanks for your great predictions. I hope youre right. The eBook was published on January 6, 2015, so it hasnt been out long. I have entered it in a couple of contests. Well see.  The book was awarded the Childrens Literary Classics Seal of Approval with a 5-star review. They forwarded it to the Awards Department for the next step in the 2015 Literary Classics Awards program. We wont know anything until later.

Cool. I think you have a wonderful chance of winning. Now tell us about other books youve written.

I have twelve books published, with two more under contract. My YA historical fiction novel, CAVES, CANNONS, AND CRINOLINES, is the story of the surrender of Vicksburg, MS, during the Civil War. This is my favorite time period in history. A PIRATE, A BLOCKADE RUNNER, AND A CAT is a contemporary mg/tween paranormal story, with a touch of history. STAR OF THE TEAM is a contemporary sports story for mg readers.       WEIRD NOISES IN THE NIGHT is a fun mystery for young readers. As you can see, I write in all different genres. You can see all of my books here: http://www.amazon.com/Beverly-Stowe-McClure/e/B001K7R9LA/ref=sr_tc_2_rm?qid=1431090846&sr=1-2-ent

Tell us some fun facts about you.


Some of my friends call me the Bug Lady. Why? Because I rescue butterflies, moths, praying mantis, and walking sticks from my cats that think the insects are food.
To relax I play the piano. The cats dont appreciate good music and run and hide when I tickle the ivories.

Where can we buy this amazing book?

Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/1pNgxaM
And other places where ebooks are sold.

Thanks, Beverly. I foresee great things for this story. And readers, dont forget to leave a comment for a chance to win an ebook copy of I Live in a Doghouse.

Thank you, Suzanne, for your fun interview and your great review.

Bev’s Bio
For twenty-two years Beverly taught children in grades two through five how to read and write. They taught her patience. Now she teaches a womens Sunday school class at her church. Most of the time youll find Beverly in front of her computer, writing her stories. She also loves to visit schools and libraries and talk about how she became a reader and a writer. (Secret: When she was in school she hated to read. So how did she change?)


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book Suzanne. Thanks for the review and interview. I love reading about other writers. Good luck with this book Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great book and you can get it on Amazon too.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Darlene. I'm late to the party because my Internet is down. I appreciate your "Good luck" wishes.

      Delete
  2. This looks like a great book for today's children. Too many are in the same situation and this is a very clever one. I also would love to know why this boy lives in a doghouse. Good luck with this Beverly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. Sometimes a doghouse is the best place to be. :)

      Delete
  3. I hope to read your book about the Battle of Vicksburg as well as this one! Good luck with the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kenneth and Anne. As I've mentioned, the Civil War is one of my favorite time periods in history. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. I Live in a Dog House. Say what? Yes, I think that's a cute story just on how you came up with the book idea. Congrats on receiving the Children’s Literary Classics Seal of Approval. Best wishes for tons more awards and lots of readers praising it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, J Q, story ideas come from the weirdest places sometimes. Thanks for your "best wishes."

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Suzanne, for a great interview. I'm so happy you enjoyed my story. I'm sorry I haven't been around more. But now, I'm back Online. Yay! Using the WIFI at the library was confusing. So different to what I'm used to.
    Thanks to everyone that stopped by

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the winner of I LIve in a Doghouse is: Barbara Ehrentreu! Yayayayayaya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Congratulations, Barbara. Let me know which edition you'd like and the book will be on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a new way to see this matter. It is interesting as well. hhtp://www.bellofpeace.org

    ReplyDelete