Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Welcome to the world of unicorns.

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The COVID Nightmare

So Covid has been going on for almost a year, and it's been quite a ride. We survived the first wave of this harrowing roller coaster simulation by keeping ourselves busy at home, planting a garden, ripping up our lawn and replacing it with clover. It provided us with hours of back-breaking, but satisfying entertainment, that is, until fall arrived with its bad weather. All of a sudden, we had nothing to do, and thus began ... the COVID nightmares!


Now, I'm quite sure you've all experienced this -- the dream where you forget to bring a mask? Where you're in the grocery store loaded with non-social distancing people whose faces are naked as a jaybird?


I had a particularly memorable one the other night. In it, my husband and I had organized a mahjong tournament in some covered beach area. I was laying down mahjong sets on tables along with snacks and drinks when all of a sudden, I remembered - COVID-19!!! Did I have a mask somewhere? I started searching every pocket I possessed but came out empty-handed. And what was worse, was that our friends were arriving ... maskless as well!


"OMG! I thought. "What am I going to do? We'll all catch the COVID. Then, to make matters even more complicated, I spied a police car in the distance. "Oh, no! I'll be charged a fortune for having organized this event." As the RCMP vehicle loomed ever closer, I could just make out the scowling masked faces of the officers inside. Panicked, I waved frantically to our friends, telling them to run, but they thought I was waving hello. "NO!" I cried, as they came closer, their smiles as wide as the Cheshire Cat. "Go back!" And then ... I woke up.

Now, let's take my husband. That same night, he dreamt we had gone to Mexico. When we arrived, he suddenly remembered, "COVID-19!" Going into a panic, his mind whirled around a mile a minute. "What was I thinking? There's COVID everywhere. We'll be stuck in our room, and we'll have to quarantine for two weeks when we get back."

Sigh.

This happens almost every night and will keep happening until I get that darned shot, if ever I get the shot...

What about you? What's your COVID nightmare?

And while I'm at it, why don't you lull yourself to sleep with one of my novels? I can't say your dreams will be less scary, but maybe you'll have a new kind of nightmare - maskless unicorns, crazy fiddlers who don't cough in there elbow, or perhaps you'll meet a couple settling in Canada during the Spanish flu. Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember my dreams upon waking. I just know they were strange because I feel displaced. I'm not sure if they're covid-related. Here's hoping they aren't. Gads, Suzanne, you have a vivid imagination. I wonder if there is a novel in there somewhere. Hope you manage to get some sleep eventually. My nightmare: will I ever be able to return to Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Respect for your willingness to explore new ideas and perspectives in your content. Gambling online offers a huge selection of games that you can try out for free first.

    ReplyDelete